Home to more than 100,000 marine animals of over 1,o00 species, S.E.A. Aquarium is among the largest aquariums in the world. Here are some pretty mind-blowing details behind this world-class oceanarium.
1. S.E.A. Aquarium (or South East Asia Aquarium) was the world’s largest aquarium by total water volume from April 2013 till February 2014. The aquarium holds more than 42.8 million litres of fresh and salt water – enough to fill more than 17 Olympic-size swimming pools!
2. The aquarium is made up of more than 50 habitats, including Shark Seas, Shipwreck and Open Ocean, with Open Ocean habitat being the largest. It takes about 1-2 hours to cover all habitats depending on your group size.
3. The 700mm thick acrylic viewing panel at Open Ocean habitat measures a staggering 36m wide by 8.3m tall, and weighs more than 250,000kg.
Here’s a video of how the Open Ocean habitat was constructed:
4. Our aquarists prepare some 450kg of food for our marine residents daily. With an average adult consuming about 1.5kg of food per day, that’s equivalent to preparing three meals for 300 persons at one go!
5. We have a conservation group called Guardians of the S.E.A.A.. It supports conservation research, education and public engagement efforts by bringing together a community of like-minded people and organisations collaborating with S.E.A. Aquarium to protect the marine environment. Click here to find out more about Guardians of the S.E.A.A.
6. Become a PADI certified diver at S.E.A. Aquarium. Click here for details on our wide range of PADI dive programmes.
7. There is an all-suite hotel connected to the aquarium – Ocean Suites. Each of these 1-bedroom duplex suites comprises two levels: the upper level is an open living area that leads onto an outdoor patio and Jacuzzi whilst the lower level offers an underwater view of over 40,000 marine life in the Open Ocean habitat. Read about how Angeline Ng and her family spent their staycation at Ocean Suites.
8. Dine in the company of manta rays and other fish at Ocean Restaurant by Cat Cora – an aquarium dining experience developed with celebrity Cat Cora who is also the first female Iron Chef in Singapore. As you tuck into her light, healthy dishes, you can savour a magnificent view of the Open Ocean habitat.
9. Say “I Do” at S.E.A. Aquarium against a moving marine backdrop and a glamourous setup.
You can even take some dramatic wedding photos like this: