If you have visited the Marine Life Park (MLP) in the past month, you may have seen the Marine Youth Ambassadors decked in the bright blue polo shirts at some choice locations within the S.E.A. Aquarium: the Discovery Touch Pool, Rocky Shores, and the Ocean Gallery.
The Marine Youth Ambassadors are made up of volunteers from Singapore schools. After undergoing training, these ambassadors are deployed around the S.E.A. Aquarium to help guests with their queries, provide insights to the wonders of marine life, and share tips on conservation habits. It is a chance to be in the driver seat to impress guests on the values of conservation.
Eight students from River Valley High School were the first few to join as ambassadors. To date, they have volunteered 140 hours in this outreach initiative by MLP’s Education & Conservation team. One student, Oh Ren Min, shared:
“We are passionate about conservation and really enjoy what we do here. For instance, at the Discovery Touch Pool, we get to meet all kinds of interesting people, introduce them to the Knobbly Sea Star, and watch them interact with these animals. It is an opportunity to really reach out and share about marine conservation.”
Curious about the programme?
Marine Youth Ambassador is for you, if you like to:
- Interact with fellow like-minded youths.
- Be empowered to conserve marine and freshwater environments through conservation education.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look and understanding of support systems to operate the world’s largest aquarium.
- Be mentored by Aquarists, Education and Conservation Officers.
To be a Marine Youth Ambassador, you need to:
- Be passionate about spreading the word on marine education and conservation.
- Be between 14 and 18 years old.
- Sign up through a registered educational institution.
- Complete the two days of volunteer training.
- Sign up for six guiding sessions of at least two hours each.
If you’re a student interested in being a Marine Youth Ambassador, share this link with your science teacher. For educators who are interested in this programme, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org