In Singapore, the amount of plastic waste generated (disposed plus recycled) in 2016 was 42% higher than 2003. Yet the recycling rate remained at only 7-13%, and has stagnated for the past 13 years.
To reduce the use of plastic disposables in Singapore, Zero Waste SG, a partner of S.E.A. Aquarium Society, launched the BYO Singapore campaign on 1 September 2017 – to encourage more people in Singapore to bring their own reusables and reduce plastic disposables through incentives and support.
From now till 31 December 2017, consumers will enjoy incentives at participating retailers when they bring their own bottles, containers or bags.
Currently, 14 businesses — with a total of 223 retail outlets — are offering discounts or incentives to consumers who bring their own bottles, cups, bags or containers:
- Aloha Poke – Additional superfood worth $1
- Cold Storage – Free reusable bag with min. $20 purchase (Mondays only in Sep 2017, show cashier the BYO logo as seen here)
- Happy Salad – 2 free toppings
- Joe and Dough – 50 cents discount
- Kopi Ong – 1 chop; free drink after 10 chops
- NTUC FairPrice – 10 cents discount with min. $10 purchase
- Paul – 10% discount on bread items
- The Lokal Singapore – $1 discount
- The Matcha Project X Copper Espresso – 50 cents discount
- The Sugar Fairy – 20 cents discount (when you bring your bag and container); 10 cents (when you bring your bag only)
- Verdure Cafe – 50 cents discount
- Wuerstelstand – 50 cents discount
- Well Dressed Salad Bar – 50 cents to $1 discount, depending on type of reusable
- Yellow Cup Coffee – 50 cents discount
Here are some reusable items to bring along which will earn you incentives at some of the participating outlets:
And here are some tips when BYO-ing:
- Smile and be nice when requesting to use your own container/bottle/bag.
- Politely inform the staff that this is for the environment as disposables are not eco-friendly.
- Try not to take up too much time especially during peak hours.
Check out these BYO life hacks to help you get started:
Watch the full version of BYO LIFE HACK: 5 WAYS TO BYO shown at the BYO media launch this morning! Starring Neil Humphreys and his daughter! Shout out to Phyo Myat Thu for the amazing video!!!! #byosingapore
Posted by BYO Singapore on Thursday, 31 August 2017
For more information on why, how and where to BYO, as well as the updated list of participating merchants, visit the BYO Singapore website.
If you wish to do your part in reducing plastic marine litter, sign up for S.E.A. Aquarium Society’s upcoming beach cleanup. Details here