We envision a world where people understand the importance of the ocean and are driven to take action to improve its health, sustainability and productivity.
To protect our ocean by partnering with the community.
Explore: by supporting researchers and scientists who are dedicated to increasing our understanding of the ocean.
Protect: by leading and support conservation actions that will directly impact and improve ocean health.
Educate: by activating a movement of enthusiastic people who are inspired to take action.
We will focus on tackling priority issues such as ocean plastic pollution, sustainable seafood and climate action for the ocean in Southeast Asia and Australasia over the next five years.
SUSTAINABILTY in S.E.A. Aquarium
Along with our conservation priorities, the Guardians of the S.E.A.A. will drive the internal sustainability efforts in Resorts World Sentosa’s (RWS) Attractions group through the Blue Committee. The Blue Committee aims to provide a platform for RWS Team Members to take conservation actions while supporting and promoting established Resort-wide efforts. These include educating RWS Team Members and guests on recycling and other green habits to create a sustainable place for all to live and work.
PARTNERS AND SUPPORTERS
Our goal is to create a movement of enthusiastic and motivated people in Singapore working together to protect the ocean, comprising:
- Partners: government agencies, corporates, not-for-profit groups, academic and research institutions and local interest groups.
- Supporters: Resorts World Sentosa team members, youth ambassadors, volunteers and marine enthusiasts.
We’re helping to reduce plastic pollution and here’s how:
- We’re working internally to reduce single-use plastics at S.E.A. Aquarium in our F&B and retail outlets. Details here
- We’ve signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with James Cook University Singapore, to explore opportunities to collaborate on research. Details here
- We’ve embarked on a national campaign to reduce plastic usage in schools in partnership with Zero Waste SG. Details here
- We were the ‘Official Singapore sponsor of World Oceans Day 2017’ and working alongside other AZA Aquariums around the world to raise awareness for ocean plastic pollution through onsite interpretive.
- We’ve got volunteer support from secondary and tertiary institutions who are engaging the public on plastic pollution.
- We’re organising bi-annual Reef Cleanups and supporting Project AWARE’s Dive Against Debris. Read about our first reef cleanup here
- We’re organising bi-annual Beach Cleanups with the aid of International Coastal Cleanup Singapore (ICCS). Read about our beach cleanup where we picked up 1 tonne of trash
We’re increasing our efforts to engage the public on conservation:
- We launched our first ever Dive Photography Competition on the 8th June. Check out the winners here
- We created an online community via Facebook so that we can share information easily with our partners and supporters. Join us
- We’re working with grassroot communities on a 2-part ‘Healthy Ocean, Healthy Us’ Art Mural. Read about the first mural here
- We’re launching a speaker series, whereby we are bringing key figures to engage the public on topics to excite their curiosity of the ocean. Terry Garcia, former Chief Science and Exploration Officer of National Geographic kickstarts the series.
- We organise monthly Guardians of the S.E.A.A. events at the aquarium for the public to get involved in. Details here
Become a supporter by joining us as Guardians of the S.E.A.A.