What’s better than immersing yourself in the beauty of the marine world? Teaching scuba diving to share your aquatic passion with others while doing what you enjoy most.
S.E.A. Aquarium now offers the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) to the public, allowing dive enthusiasts to fulfill their dream of becoming a PADI certified dive instructor.
This 15-day course is taught by PADI Course Director Alex Walker and a team of IDC Staff Instructors. Each group is capped at 6 candidates to ensure maximum attention and assistance.
IDC comprises the Assistant Instructor (AI) programme and Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) programme, which will prepare you to teach all PADI core courses. It also includes the Emergency First Response Instructor (EFRI) programme which is essential for becoming a PADI instructor.
In summary, you will undergo
- Dive Theory online and 9 IDC online presentations (independent study)
- 10 curriculum presentations* by Course Director, covering key topics such as
- PADI Standards and Procedures for courses you can teach with in water workshops (see second last point)
- Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
- Risk Management and Diver Safety
- The Business of Diving and your role as an instructor
- Marketing Diving and Sales Counseling
- 5 knowledge development teaching presentations by candidates*
- 5 confined water teaching presentations by candidates**
- 3 open water teaching presentations by candidates***
- In water workshops on Discover Scuba Diving, Control/ascents and descents, Advanced Open Water Diver, and Rescue Diver
- 2 PADI Standards and Dive Theory exams
*conducted in classroom
**conducted in pool
***conducted in open water
During this time, you will learn how to organize and present information, conduct skill development sessions and control open water dives. All these will make you really good at demonstrating the different skills while watching out for student diver safety.
Once you have completed the course, you will proceed to an Instructor Examination (IE), which is the final step to earn a PADI Instructor certification. IE is a two-day evaluative programme that tests your teaching ability, dive theory knowledge, skill level, understanding of the PADI System, and attitude and professionalism. IE will be conducted at an independent location in Singapore alongside other dive centre candidates.
- PADI Divemaster who has been a certified diver for six months
- At least 60 logged dives and 100 dives to attend an IE
- Instructor level training in primary and secondary first aid
- A medical statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months
Dive professionals who hold an instructor rating with another diver training organisation may be eligible to enroll directly in the OWSI programme. Check with us for details.
PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC)
Next course date:
Course duration (including EFRI programme):